Sunday 17 April 2011

Warped Narative

I attempted to write a Warped Narrative following the pattern of Billy's time travels. I noticed that Billy traveled always from a moment of pain, to another similar moment. Here's what I tried to replicate (its purely fictional) and it has a Brave New World vibe (where it gets confusing and shorter as you continue forward.)

---

An unbreakable silence envelopes the room. The gentle sound of papers is heard as people hold their breathe. "I'm ready... There's no need to fear...!", I think. Slowly the distribution occurs, painfully slowly. Beads of sweat start running down my face. It finally reaches me. I reach over, hands quivering, head hot, as I start to turn it ov...

VRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. An enormous motor starts and the cabin begins to shake. "Please fasten your seatbelts and prepare for take off". I sit back, observing a number of little cars going down the runway towards us. Suddenly, the engines turn off. It is evident why, seven police men have entered the plane and they walk bruskly. I watch as they get close, wondering whether there's some terrorist or something on the plane. They stop at my isle and they look at me, and say "You're coming with us!". I stare, and stand up and they painfully grab my arm and shove me forward. My hand feels as if its about to fall off, they're not gentle...

I am walking down the street when, suddenly a crippling throbbing poker-hot pain attacks my head. I fall to the ground and I see...

Question number one: Describe, in detail, the nucleotide chains associated with the development of polymerase in accordance to... I surrender to the knowledge that I will fail, my head is throbbing. I begin writing slowly, erase and then continue. We never learned this! Sweat is pouring off my face as I skip the first few questions and  then...

Tick. Tick. Tick. A grey room, with a large analog clock above me. I count the seconds. It seems that they have forgotten about me. I've been in here for hours already, this must be inhumane... Quietly at first, a beat starts playing... Its familiar. Louder... louder it plays... until... BABY BAB...

A panic envelopes my head as I realize, I cannot answer any question. After reading every single one, and writing an introduction, "The reason for the ____ is because", I am at a loss to what to do. I look around me. Everyone is writing quickly. I look down...

BABY OHHHH, BABY BABY BABY OHHH! What is this?!! Is this some kind of new torture? Get me out of here! I stand up, and walk to the mirror and start knocking. The music is getting louder and loud...

I fall to the ground, and I see a thug kicking me, and grabbing my wallet. I kick back except that I am a terrible position to defend myself. My head feels like its been split into two...

The door opens, behind it is a janitor painting the walls with the stereo. A man walks in, "Sit Down".

I close my eyes, thinking about the material I reviewed a few hours before. My eyes sting at the sight of the paper.

-Daniel

No comments:

Post a Comment