Sunday 17 April 2011

My Non-Vonnegutian Novel

If I were to write a novel, it would be comparable stylistically to Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse-Five; my style of writing is somewhat similar to that of Vonnegut. Stylistically, my novel would follow many of 'Kurt Vonnegut's 8 Rules for Writing Fiction,' as it will start off near the end, with the main character at the lowest point of his/her life. The character would be presented an opportunity to reestablish him/herself in society, and he/she will embrace it. During the process of reestabishment, the character will go through a series of flashbacks that will show how he/she ended up in the condition that the reader found him/her in. I'm not quite sure how I would end the novel yet, seeing as I do not want to make the same 'mistake' as Vonnegut, and leave the reader without a lasting impact.

Due to the fact that many of the novels that our class have read this year criticize the left wing, my novel would demonstrate the dangers of the right wing and take a blow at capitalism. My main character will be a once successful individual who ends up in th gutter. The character goes from being an arrogant and obnoxious prick to being a grateful and opportunity seizing hobo. Another character will be a stereotypical capitalist, who tries to bring himself up at the expense of others. The genre of the novel would be drama more than anything else.

Although I'm not quite sure of the details, the basics of my novel are in place.

-Arshdeep

No comments:

Post a Comment