Monday 18 April 2011

Ginzulitzer Prize, and goodbye!

It seems that this project is reaching an end, after all I am on the final post and after this one wraps it up. So it goes. But before the final blow, I am going to discuss what I thought of another's blogger's blog. And the winner is... * drum roll please! * my friend Vy's blog: http://viidragon.wordpress.com .

I will discuss the ideas, topics and stylistics of Vy's three blog posts.


When there’s a will, there’s a way. But when there’s Billy Pilgrim, there’s Paul Lazzaro 

I have to agree, Vonnegut is a genius in thinking up a nut case like Paul Lazzaro. I mean this man is completely messed up as proven by his raping, murdering, and threatening tendencies. I really enjoyed the amount of language you incorporated in your detailed account of your disgust of Paul Lazzaro. Vonnegut really does leave it for us to guess how he wound up to be this way, but you make a fine guess. 

The feeling that were Paul Lazzaro as I was reading it-- it made the post personal. You  addressed him and try to tell him in a semi-friendly manner to stop being a mental nut case, and go seek some therapy. I admire you for it, but I really wouldn't suggest you pulling through if he was actually alive... as you might walk to your front door one day and be shot in the groin. (yay). 

But on the topic of how he actually became the thing he is now, I do sympathize with him. I mean, all the murderers, criminals and horrible monsters that are out there were children once. And they were raised to be like this either through abusive parents or horrible experiences. So in the end its not REALLY their fault, they're just victims of society. If I was in charge of Lazzaro's sentencing or punishment, I would think that sending him to death penalty or life in prison is unfair. Rather, he should be sent to some kind of therapy institution where his deep emotional problems would be addressed and he would be able to recover from whatever made him like this.

Haha! It is quite unsatisfactory to end a book like this with the chirpings of some bird. However, I think that the bird had its own significance: that there was really nothing left to say about war. War is war. Perhaps I'm over thinking it and Vonnegut just intended to end the book with something random.

You should read one of my earlier blog posts where I discussed how I thought Vonnegut just had a severe case of writer's block and decided to mix together his life experience, his beliefs and a few ideas to make a satisfactory book with quite a bit of un-needed filler. Considering the man took years to write this book, its not surprising that he's hasty to just get it over with and leave us unhappy with the ending, (unless he meant it to be that way, in which case props to him even though I don't understand!).

And yes, Vonnegut did have a view interesting quotes in there that really did supplement the book. Each one was thought provoking and aided the "Fate" idea. The picture were... interesting. Vonnegut likes strange pictures though (ahem horses and breasts)!

Woah! What a gruesome introduction, even for something reflecting Vonnegut... "the cherry colored liquid..". I can imagine it slowly diluting itself in the pool... many thanks for that image, Vy! And you definitely did not write "So it goes!", gah. A joke too far. It relays the message quite well, the idea of fate and upcoming doom. Although your friend might of deserved it if 'she and her boyfriend where making out with someone! However I feel that might of been a typo.

Very Billy Pilgramish set of mind there. But also so very obnoxious! You should at least of warned your cheating friend, I mean if its you that are going to die, its your own choice! But anyways... I enjoyed your descriptions of Vietnam. I felt some nostalgia as you wrote about this vacation. I don't really understand how this is connected to the experience with your cousin however. 



Congradulations Vy! You're literature has just been analyzed. It has received the Ginzulitzer Prize. Just a few notes before I hand it out. I really enjoy your forth-right style which had much sarcasm and because of this was entertaining to read. Your ideas were very interesting and I agreed with you for the majority of the points. Your posts feel extremely genuine and personal and thats something you should preserve since thats how readers can relate to you. Good job blogging!

And on that note, I'd like to thank everyone who read my blog posts, (including those from China, Denmark, Netherlands and South Korea... I wonder where you found my post though!). Its been an interesting experience sharing my thoughts of a considerably good book. On on that note-
So it goes.

-Daniel

1 comment: